9th Annual "END OF THE YEAR REPORT" for 2014
The start of 2014 started off pretty slow and fruitful. And then, like any downhill momentum it just sped through and now, suddenly we're a week into the new year. That's not to say that downhill means anything negative.
Like last year, this was a fairly good year. Though, as the year progressed, I began to sense a coming change. Not sure exactly what that is, but I'm getting antsy with the direction of my life. What is it? Is it just enjoying the day to day job, life and entertainment? I really love living in LA, that's not going to change but what exactly am I doing here?
The idea of directing feels so daunting and out of reach, even though this year, I actually got paid to direct. After eight years in the city, I finally was acknowledged as a director worth paying. And it turned out, anti-climatic.
I hope to maybe do some more in the new year, but my newest passion is gaming. Particularly table-top gaming. I designed a simple card game ("Kill Monsters") and I think I'm going to try my hand at that this year. Finishing up some play testing early in the year, then finding an illustrator and hopefully launch a successful Kickstarter with it. That, among all other things, is my greatest goal for the new year.
With that, here's the top ten list... almost 10 years now!!! Crazy crazy.
Movies - Popcorn
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Edge of Tomorrow
- Captain America: Winter Soldier
- The Lego Movie
- Gone Girl
- Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies
- Big Hero 6
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Movies - Cinema
- Under the Skin
- Grand Budapest Hotel
- American Sniper
- Inherent Vice
- Mad Men
- Getting On
- Good Wife
- Legend of Korra
- Orange is the New Black
- Boardwalk Empire -- great finale!
- The Comeback -- great finale!
- Greg Berlanoti's Arrow & Flash
- The Leftovers
- You're the Worst
- Halt & Catch Fire
- Walking Dead
- Last Week Tonight
- Star Wars: Rebels
- Teen Wolf / The 100
- Brooklyn 99
** So much great television this year, expanded it to 20.
- Dragon Age: Inquistion
- Wolf Among Us
- Walking Dead: Season 2
- Infamous: Second Son
- Alien Isolation
- Shadows of Modor
- Smash Brothers (Wii U)
- Mario Kart 8
* This year has been terrible for video games. Besides Dragon Age & the TellTale games, I've been very unimpressed. Next year however, ho boy!
Table Top Games
- Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition
- Twilight Imperium
- Mice & Mystics
- Game of Thrones
- Dead of Winter
- HP Lovecraft / Fantasy Flight Games: Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness
- Co-Op Games: Pandemic, Forbidden Desert, Forbidden Island
- Shadows over Camelot
- Retro Games: Fireball Island, Fun City, Harbingers (Nightmare VHS Game)
Music - Albums
- Singles by FUTURE ISLANDS
- Hozier by HOZIER
- After the Disco by BROKEN BELLS
- Morning Phase by BECK
- Encyclopedia by DRUMS
- They Want My Soul by SPOON
- Ultraviolence by LANA del REY
- Misc. Singles by PRINZE GEORGE
- Everything Will Be Alright in the End by WEEZER
- Sisyphus by SUFJAN STEVENS, SON LUX, SERENGETI
Music - Songs
- Seasons (Waiting on You) by FUTURE ISLANDS
- Good Mistake by MR LITTLE JEANS
- Victor by PRINZE GEORGE
- Holding on for Life by BROKEN BELLS
- Magic by COLDPLAY
- Fall in Love by PHANTOGRAM
- To Be Alone by HOZIER
- I Can't Pretend by THE DRUMS
- Out of the Black by ROYAL BLOOD
- Careful You by TV ON THE RADIO
- Shades of Cool by LANA del REY
- They Want My Soul by SPOON
- Alcohol by SUFJAN STEVENS, SON LUX, SERENGETI
- 10,000 Emerald Pools by BORNS
- Till It's Gone by YELAWOLF
- Take Me To Church by HOZIER
- Blue Moon by BECK
- Ain't Got Nobody by WEEZER
- Out of the Woods by TAYLOR SWIFT
- Every Breaking Wave by U2
Books (Not necessarily 2013 books)
Some of these books I (DNF) for one reason or another, regardless of whether I liked them
- Harry Potter Saga (2nd re-read)
- Mistborn: Final Empire
- Gone Girl
- D&D World / Forgotten Realms
- Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit (DNF)
- Wold War Z (DNF)
Technology (Apps, Gear, & Internet Stuff)
- Pebble Steel
- All New Apple Gear: iPhone 6, MBP Retina, iPad Air
- Imgur, part of my daily internet along with Twitter & Facebook (Paper)
- WeMo Lights, I can't wait for the "Smart House"
- Everything Subscription: Apps, Programs, Netflix, etc
- Tile, which was cool but not... fully practical
- Evernote, Dropbox
A LOOK AT THE YEAR
Some Moments from the Year (Good & Bad):
- Re-reading the entire Harry Potter series, watching the movies after every book. A wonderful, awesome experience. One I'll probably do again soon... not so much with Lord of the Rings, as I tried to do the same with it.
- All day Twilight Imperium. We did this twice this year. And I loved it.
- D&D Group -- got VERY obsessed with this this year and look forward to more in the new year.
- Had Jury Duty this year, for the first time. Pretty uneventful.
- My "status" holiday, 2/28 came and went and meant really nothing to me. Felt good about that.
- Worked for Philymack, had a pretty great time, but soon realized, I was unhappy and quit. Maybe was a good idea, maybe not.
- Went to Comic Con this year -- did the overnight camp out for Hall H, something I may never do again but it was fun to do once... but as the days grow closer, I may change my mind.
- Had maybe a little TOO much fun in July & September...
- Went to Big Bear with some friends for the weekend. Was both super fun and kinda lonely.
- Had a fun birthday this year. Little Scavenger Hunt at the old abandoned zoo then went to a barcade.
This Year's Themes:
- CHANGING PERSPECTIVE: my desire & passion for filmmaking has evolved into that of gaming and more specifically Table Top Gaming.
HOPES / GOALS FROM 2014 FULFILLED?
- GET INTO A ROUTINE (Health, Writing, Social, etc)
- Kinda -- been better about going to the gym
- Finish Two NEW Scripts
- Not close -- but this year has evolved from wanting to write, though I do have a new script I'm working on.
- Get AS SIMPLE AS SNOW out there, in any ways I can
- I submitted it out and got lackluster reviews on the ending... so, put it aside for now. Working on something that's probably a little more manageable budget wise (and I actually own rights too).
- Raise $$$ for a new project (hopefully of feature length)
- No. But that's alright.
- Network More, re-engage the Filmmaker
- Funny, I've dis-engaged the Filmmaker this year, but possibly for the better?
- Keep Hiking & Going to the Gym - make it a HABIT
- This I've done pretty good. I hiked a bunch & kept the gym. Though I didn't lose weight just sort of maintained.
- New Laptop, Desktop
- This DID happen! New laptop, iPad, iPhone, and decided I didn't really want to get a desktop.
- Save Save Save!!!
- This I did not do at all. When I quit back in June, that really wiped out all that I had saved. I'm back to "unstressfully" being paycheck to paycheck.
- Take Vacation to Somewhere Awesome
- Kinda -- went to Big Bear with friends
- Reach "500" - only 119 last year
- Funny enough, I did all I wanted to do here in this department. Went on a really wild trip and hit numbers I wanted too.
HOPES GOALS FOR 2014
- Play Test my game, get it illustrated, and then get it on Kickstarter... this is my biggest goal.
- Finish my "Motel" script... seek out a producer / cast it / start the process
- Go to GenCon
- Keep Healthy / Keep Gyming it Up / Hit the Hike More Consistently
- Read More Novels
- Get a Dog
NEWS NEWS OF THE YEAR
- Michael Brown & Eric Garner
- Ebola "Scare"
- Ice Bucket Challenge
- Death of Robin Williams
- Missing Malaysian Plane
- Mid-Term Elections
- War in the Ukraine: Putin, Russia, Shot down Plain
- World Cup
- Winter Olympics: Sochi
- Nigerian Missing Girls
I want to thank lots of people this year -- in no particular order: my Mom, my Sister, my good friends here in LA, my roommate, my gaming groups (Twilight, D&D), the internet world, those who make all these awesome games, awesome video games, awesome movies -- anyone who creates. You guys are fucking awesome.
Hugs & warmth to all.