END OF THE YEAR REPORT
This is my 4th "End of the Year Report." I wanted to list what I considered each year to be so far:
2006: Year of Big Change
2007: Year of Foundations & Beginnings
2008: Year of Recovery
2009: Year of Endings
Anyway, here is my list for this year:
(1) The White Ribbon
(2) I Killed My Mother
(3) Where the Wild Things Are
(4) Up in the Air
(5) Inglorious Basterds
(6) The Hurt Locker
(9) Star Trek
(1) The Informers
(3) Angels & Demons
(5) Jennifer's Body
(1) Mad Men
(3) True Blood
(4) Modern Family
(6) NBC's Thursday Night Comedies
(7) Survivor: Samoa
(8) The Good Wife
(9) Late Night with Jimmy Fallon
(10) Bored to Death
Flashforward wants to be in my top 10... but I'll just give it a special mention.
(1) The Middle
(2) The Prisoner
(3) Project Runway (worst season ever)
(5) Melrose Place
FAVORITE BOOK (Not Year Specific)
(1) The Road
(2) As Simple As Snow
(3) Writing a Great Movie
BEST VIDEO GAMES
(1) Uncharted 2
(2) Left 4 Dead 2 (and 1, for that matter)
(3) Batman: Arkham Asylum
(4) New Super Mario Bros Wii
(5) Fable II
(1) Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros' UP FROM BELOW
(2) Papercuts' YOU CAN HAVE WHAT YOU WANT
(3) Peter, Bjorn & John's LIVING THING
(4) Grizzly Bear's VECTATIMEST
(5) Various Artists' DARK WAS THE NIGHT
(6) Yeah Yeah Yeahs' IT'S BLITZ!
(7) Andrew Bird's THE NOBLE BEAST
(8) Animal Collective's MERRIWEATHER POST PAVILLION
(9) Beirut's MARCH OF THE ZAPOTEC
(10) Zoot Woman's THINGS ARE WHAT THEY USED TO BE
However, I've yet to hear Phoenix's album, which I've heard is amazing. Dan Deacon's new album was a close 10th... but it just didn't make it.
(1) HOME by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
(2) SOFT SHOCK by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
(3) FUTURE PRIMITIVE by Papercuts
(4) JUST THE PAST by Peter, Bjorn & John
(5) 10-YOU-US by Andrew Bird
(6) THE FEAR by Lilley Allen
(7) NEW THEORY by Washed Out
(8) SATURATION by Zoot Woman
(9) BLUISH by Animal Collective
(10) PAPARAZZI by Lady Gaga
(1) Tuna Melt
(2) Hot Chocolate w/ Whip Cream
(4) Five (ice cream)
(5) Salads in a Bag
(1) Not Working After Getting Fired/Let Go
(2) **Private** (note to remember: slam)
(3) Learning to Love/Appreciate All Movies
(4) Buying & Using the Wii Fit Plus for $20
(5) Rereading, "How to Write a Movie in 21 Days"
(1) Trying to Make a Dead Relationship Work for Another Six Months
(2) Not Finding Work After Getting Fired/Let Go
(3) Eating When I'm Not Hungry
(4) Seeing "Angels & Demons" after a five year ban on Ron Howard movies
(5) Using Wordpress as my "website"
November, here I saw amazing foreign films, played Uncharted 2, and I began to really understand my future as a writer & director.
Halloween Night, having written a successful Halloween Murder Mystery Party
Finishing a brand new script only two weeks after being fired.
September, I finally had to say goodbye (made a fool of myself), got fired, felt I may have to move back to Florida.
March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) the day it fell apart.
Helping my boyfriend move out of his apartment, only to realize it was really over and would be the last day I spoke with him.
FAVORITE THING I DID
Again - the Halloween Murder Mystery Party
(1) Sam Worthington from Terminator Salvation & Avatar
(2) Nathan Drake from Uncharted 2 (yes, a video game character)
(3) Ryan Kwanten from True Blood
THIS YEAR'S THEMES
(1) Letting Go
(2) Embracing Life's Obstacles
(3) Dilemma, Crisis, Decision & Action, Resolution = Theme
(4) Getting Back to the Basics
HOPES / GOALS FOR THE NEXT YEAR
(1) Shoot "2 28" (my first feature) & get into a major festival
(2) Finish the scripts for "Man of Peace," "The Western," "Fear Between Vultures," & a new script
(3) Be accepted into a Screenwriter's Lab or Fellowship
(4) Finish "Bright Like Neon Love" project
(5) Continue to find a living where I can write & be creative
(6) Obama passes a SUCCESSFUL health care plan
(7) Find a new boyfriend
(8) Find a substancial financial lead for my "second" feature
(9) Start writing short stories, get published
(10) Start the new decade as a true filmmaker & artist
HOPES / GOALS FROM LAST YEAR FULFILLED?
(1) Finish scripts?
(2) Find someone to design my site & blog?
(3) Move into my own place?
Nope, but got a great new video game roommate buddy!
(4) Pay Off Credit Cards?
Nope, no job = no pay offs
(5) Take a Road Trip?
I did take a weekend trip to the Salton Sea, but would like to go somewhere further next year.
(6) Get into Sundance Again?
No project... next year...
(7) Do Something Creative?
I did get new scripts started, wrote a Murder Mystery Party & started my "Neon Love" project.
(8) Get a bigger bed?
Nope. No need for this.
(9) Get new furniture?
Again - no need.
(10) Economy better than expected?
To be honest, I think so. The banks have repaid their debts, and within six or so months, unemployment will be down... better than last year with the entire industry seemed to want to implode and die, leaving America a third world country.
NEWS NEWS NEWS THIS YEAR (new category)
(1) Lots & Lots of Celebrity Deaths (Michael Jackson)
(2) Swine Flu
(3) Health Care
(4) The Economy & Job Losses
(5) Miracle on the Hudson
(6) Fort Hood Shooting
(7) Auto Bailouts
(8) Obama's First Year
(9) Edward Kennedy's death
(10) Twitter & Facebook... are EVERYWHERE
SPECIAL THANKS TO:
God. Eric Ernst. Sheri Fults. Scott Uhlfelder. Alison Kantrowich. Mom (congrats on your wedding) & Dad. Holly. Kyle. All my ANIMAL Murder Mystery Party Guests! Money Gods, how I manage to pay bills and enjoy my life... I'll never know... but thank you. Shirtless Guys. Spike Jonze. Good writing. Video Games & the new age of story.
I love everyone in my life seven fold & here's to the NEW DECADE! 2010! (a new NEW imaginary toast).